Image: AdobeStock / Flamingo Images


Wednesday, July 27th, 2022

Plant-based foods in Poland

Market and consumer insights for food-industry professionals

Discover new opportunities in the Polish plant-based food market. What are Polish consumers’ consumption behaviours and expectations around plant-based food? 

If you work in the food industry in Poland, this is a must-read! In this article, you’ll learn how Polish consumers are behaving, what they expect from plant-based foods, and what commercial opportunities exist for the food industry.

Plant-based food in the Poland – key highlights:

  • Consumer profile: 24% of Polish consumers identify as flexitarians, while 6% follow a plant-based diet (vegan+vegetarian).
  • Consumption of animal-based products: In terms of animal-based food, Polish consumers consume milk (32% daily) the most frequently, followed by cheese (24% daily) and yoghurt (23% daily). In terms of meat, poultry is the most consumed (60% at least once a week). 
  • Consumption of plant-based products: Looking at plant-based food, plant-based milk (24% at least once a week), plant-based cheese (24% at least once a week), and plant-based yoghurt (23% at least once a week) are the most frequently consumed.
  • Plant-based meat and fish consumption: Polish consumers specifically wish they could buy plant-based burger patties (34%) and chicken breast (34%) in supermarkets. Polish consumers specifically wish they could buy plant-based smoked salmon (29%) and fish sticks (27%). 
  • Plant-based dairy consumption: In terms of plant-based cheese, Polish consumers would especially like to see plant-based sliced cheese (38%) and plant-based mozzarella (36%) available in supermarkets. 

Plant-based plain milk (€37m) accounts for almost 90% of plant-based milk sales (€43m). The remaining 10% come from plant-based flavoured milk (€5.7m). The plant-based plain-milk sector is dominated by almond (€9.1m), followed by oat (€7.5m) and soya (€6.9m). The sector showed double-digit growth in sales value (76%) and even triple-digit growth in discounters (126%) over the past two periods. The plant-based flavoured-milk sector is dominated by soya (€3.8m), followed by rice (€653k) and oat (€630m). Discount stores showed triple-digit growth over the past two periods.

  • Preferred ingredients for plant-based foods: Potatoes, rice and beans are Polish consumers’ favourite ingredients in plant-based foods: 45% are in favour of plant-based food products that include potatoes as a main ingredient, 40% prefer rice whereas 38% selected beans.

To learn more, download the report ‘Plant-based food in Poland’ for free here

This could also be interesting for you

Choose what interests you:

Sort by

February highlights from the plant-based and alternative-protein sectors: UK government urged to allow plant-based brands to use dairy-like terms, and precision-fermentation-derived products gaining momentum 

Alternative proteins are gaining momentum despite challenging market conditions. From record…

Edinburgh city

January highlights from the plant-based and alternative-protein sector: Edinburgh becomes first EU capital to join the Plant Based Treaty

As retailers and foodservices embrace Veganuary, Edinburgh makes history by becoming the first…

Young positive glad smiling couple of customers choosing chocolate in food department of supermarket

December highlights from the plant-based and alternative-protein sector: Swiss court sides with Planted on meaty labelling

As we head into the new year, companies like This and Domino’s have launched new plant-based…